Romania made history at the Rowing World Championships
Romanian rowing team strengthen once more its value and reached a remarkable performance at the World Championship that took place last week in Belgrade, Serbia.
11 teams out of the 13 that represented Romania managed to qualify for the Olympic Games in Paris and got the Olympic tickets for 44 rowers.
Romanian rowers won in Belgrade 5 medals – 2 gold, 1 silver, 2 bronze, confirming Romania as the fourth in the general ranking, after Holland, Great Britain and Italy.
The first gold medal came from the double sculls champions, Simona Radiș and Ancuța Bodnar. Undefeated since 2019, the duo achieved their second consecutive world title.
Amalia Bereș, Maria Tivodariu, Roxana Anghel, Mădălina Bereș, Ioana Vrânceanu, Iuliana Buhuș, Magda Rusu, Adriana Adam and Ștefania Petreanu successfully safeguarded the world title in the Women's eight and won the second gold medal for Romania.
Mădălina Bereş, Maria Tivodariu, Magdalena Rusu and Amalia Bereş won the silver in the women's 4.
Bronze medals were won in Women's pair by Ioana Vrînceanu and Roxana Anghel and in Women's lightweight double sculls by Mariana-Laura Dumitru and Ionela Cozmiuc. The last final of the competition brought Romania the 11th crew qualified for the Olympic Games: the Men’s eight placed 4th, missing the podium.
Here are the 11 crews qualified for the Paris 2024 Olympics, the performance achieved at the World Championships in Belgrade and the athletes who got the entry standard for Paris 2024 in rowing:
- Women's double sculls (2x): Simona Radiş and Ancuța Bodnar (gold) – 2 quota places Paris 2024
- Women’s Eight: Magdalena Rusu, Iuliana Buhuş, Adriana Ailincai, Maria Tivodariu, Mădălina Bereş, Amalia Bereş, Marius Cozmiuc, Denisa Tîlvescu, Victoria-Ştefania Petreanu (gold) - 9 quota places Paris 2024
- Women's four: Mădălina Bereş, Maria Tivodariu, Amalia Bereş and Magdalena Rusu (silver) – 4 quota places Paris 2024
- Women's lightweight double sculls: Ionela Cozmiuc and Mariana Dumitru (bronze) – 2 quota places Paris 2024
- Women's pair: Roxana Anghel and Ioana Vrînceanu (bronze) – 2 quota places Paris 2024
- Men's pair: Marius Cozmiuc and Sergiu Bejan (4th place) – 2 quota places Paris 2024
- Men’s eight: Mihăiţă Șigănescu, Alexandru-Laurentiu Danciu, Bogdan-Sabin Baitoc, Mugurel Vasile Semciuc, Marius Cozmiuc, Sergiu Bejan, Ştefan Berariu, Florin Lehaci, Adrian Munteanu (4th place) – 9 quota places Paris 2024
- Women's Quadruple Sculls: Emanuela Ciotău, Andrada Moroşanu, Cristina Druga and Patricia Cireş (6th place) – 4 quota places Paris 2024
- Men's double sculls: Ciprian Tudosă and Florin Arteni (7th place) – 2 quota places Paris 2024
- Men's four: Mihăiţă ţigănescu, Mugurel Semciuc, Ştefan Berariu and Florin Lehaci (7th place) – 4 quota places Paris 2024
- Men's four: Mihai Chiruţă, Andrei Cornea, Ioan Prundeanu and Florin Enache (7th place) – 4 quota places Paris 2024
With the 44 quota places gained by Romanian rowers at Belgrade 2023 Rowing World Championships, TEAM ROMANIA has secured 54 Olympic tickets for Paris 2024.
The other athletes qualified so far are:
1. Delvine Relin Meringor - athletics - marathon
2. David Popovici – swimming
3. Lăcămioara Perijoc – boxing (54 kg)
4. Vlad Stancu – swimming
5. Andrea Miklós – athletics – 400 m
6. Alina Rotaru Kottmann - athletics - long jump
7. Annaliese Dragan – rhythmic gymnastics
8. Cătălin Chirilă – canoe C1- 1000m (1 quota place)
9, 10 – Oleg Nuță, Ilie Strincean – canoe C2 – 500m (2 quota places)